Declaring a CS Minor
Barnard students can declare a minor only once they have all of the required courses completed or in progress, and this must be done by March 1 of the senior year. Courses for the major and minor may not overlap. (The minor department chair can request an exception to this policy for a maximum of two overlapping courses if the minor requires more than 18 credits, the major requires more than 40 credits, and the overlapping courses are explicitly required for both.)
To declare Computer Science as a minor, submit the online minor election form at the link below.
Requirements for the CS minor:
1. Intro to CS and Programming in Java (COMS W1004, 3pts) or Honors Intro to CS (COMS W1007, 3pts)
2. Data Structures (COMS W3134, 3pts) or Honors Data Structures and Algorithms (COMS W3137, 4pts)
3. Advanced Programming (COMS W3157, 4pts)
4. Discrete Mathematics (COMS W3203, 3pts until Fall 2019, 4pts from Spring 2020)
5. Computer Science Theory (COMS W3261, 3pts)
6. Fundamentals of Computer Systems (CSEE W3827, 3pts) or a 4000-level COMS technical elective (3pts)
7. One course from the following: Computational Linear Algebra (COMS 3251, 4pts, recommended). Linear Algebra (MATH 2010, APMA 3101, APMA 2101) or Prob/Stats (STAT 4001, IEOR 4150)
Though not required, Intro to Comp for Eng/App (ENGI E1006) is also recommended for CS minors.
If you have any questions, please e-mail the Barnard CS Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.